Thursday, April 6, 2017

Welcome!

Welcome to my new and (hopefully, somewhat) improved running blog!

I started the blog Running For Fatties a few years ago after being frustrated with the lack of information available about how to get started with running, especially for those of us who aren’t naturally athletic. And were never athletic. And are maybe fat.

When I chose the name, the shock value of the word ‘Fatties’ was intentional. I intended for it to make it clear that not only do I have no problem with being fat, or even just being considered fat, I wasn’t going to pussy-foot around with it either. Running is different when you’re 5’8” and 125 lbs, than when you’re 5’2” and 200 lbs. The information that I wanted to know about (is it possible to run in shorts and still have any skin left on your inner thighs? Does the crotch and inside leg area of anyone else’s shorts ride all the way up until it looks like you’re wearing a diaper? Can I do anything about those things? Do sports bras exist for bigger boobs that don’t have the same size/weight/feel of armor plating?) that’s - what I wanted to talk about. I was frustrated with the stale platitudes about running only requiring a pair of shoes, about how a good pace should be where you can keep up a conversation, or how a 5K isn’t really a race. I wanted to acknowledge that running while fat (or chubby, heavy, fluffy, or whatever else) is fundamentally different, and that there’s nothing wrong with it. I wanted to embrace my fatness AND my sport, and hopefully help others to do the same. I had this idea that the blog and Facebook page name were a linguistic middle finger to all of the people who wield the word ‘Fatty’ like a weapon. I was owning it.

However, over the years it was pointed out to me that many people don’t feel the same. Many people are insulted at the idea of associating themselves with the term ‘Fatty’. Fair enough, I don’t particularly like it either. But it was my metaphorical middle finger! And then I realized recently that I was starting to react differently to the name. I started to tell a coworker about my blog and found myself not wanting to say the name out loud. When I did, I turned bright red.

I’m still pretty proud of my middle finger of a blog start. Now though, I find that it’s time for an evolution. And so here we are. Welcome to the home of the Reluctant Runner Girl. The one who said that she’d run ‘When pigs fly.’ The one who still refuses to do a race that doesn’t have a medal at the end – and not a cheapy one either. And the one who still hasn’t figured out why the crotch of my running shorts bunch up like that…

Over the next little while I will be migrating posts over from the old blog with updates as needed. I will also be writing updates about how I fell off the running bandwagon, tried to hop back on (but chubby white girls can’t jump), and got there eventually. We’ll talk injuries, do gear reviews, and write race reports that focus heavily on the perks.



So welcome aboard, it’s gonna be a fun ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment